Saturday, March 10, 2012

My First Newspaper Article

When first contacted the Desert Sun in Palm Springs, California to tell them that I was publishing a book that takes place in Palm Springs, I didn’t think I’d ever hear from them.  To my total amazement, I received an email from a Ms. Sone showing interest in doing an interview with me.  Several weeks later, I was driving  the familiar path between Phoenix and Palm Springs on my way to meet with Ms. Sone.  As I waited (a little nervously to be honest) in the large foyer enclosed primarily by large glass windows, I wondered what she would ask.  I wondered, what about my life could possibly be interesting enough to write about an any newspaper.  As soon as Ms. Sone came out and greeted me, my nerves immediately settled.  She was kind and down to earth and we sat talking, almost more like two old friends at a coffee shop, rather than interviewer and interviewee.  I noticed, she wrote very little down on the paper she had sitting in front of her.  Little did I know she had an amazing memory.  After the interview was done and I pushed through the large glass doors on my way out of the building, I felt surprisingly light and relieved.  I had done it, I had experienced my first interview and then a terrible thought hit me, what would she actually write?  We have all seen what the media can do to innocent words when twisted or taken out of context.  Maybe, she would see all my flaws and describe them in great detail.  This thought derailed me for a minute, and then a much more satisfying thought followed.  I really didn’t care how the article turned out.  I had the privilege of being a published author.  I was one of the lucky ones.  Since that first interview, I have experienced all kinds of “firsts” as an author and I know the learning curve is still long and deep and I’ve got miles to go from here.  I am sure, just like I was during my first interview, I will not feel comfortable in this business for a long time, but just like I was the day I talked to Ms. Sone, I feel lucky just to have the chance to learn. To see the actual interview go to http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012203070378

Until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment